Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
James A. Zimble Learning Resource Center • 4301 Jones Bridge Rd. Bethesda, MD 20814 • Main Number: 301-295-3189 • AMI Helpdesk: 301-295-3358
Register for My NCBI
A My NCBI account allows you to save PubMed searches and set up automatic e-mail alerts. In addition, you can use your My NCBI account to save citations into Collections, see the PubMed My NCBI pamphlet for more instruction and a description of all features.
- To register for a My NCBI account, click (upper right-hand corner of the screen) from the PubMed homepage.
- Click Register for an NCBI account and complete the registration process.
- You will need to create your own username and password (make sure it is something you can remember).
- If you are creating this account on a public computer, uncheck the Keep me signed in box. Note: your NCBI account is not connected to your USU username or your LRC username.
Saving a PubMed Search and Setting up E-mail Alerts
In PubMed, to save your search strategy and create search alerts, follow these easy steps:
- Login to My NCBI and run the search you want to save.
- Next, click Create alert (see image below).
- On the next screen (see below), you will be prompted to name your search -- enter a name on the topic.
- Select the frequency and click Save. In the next step, you will be asked if you wish to create email alerts, and prompted to select frequency, format and number items to receive with each update.
- If you click No thanks, your search will be saved to your My NCBI account.
- When you are done, click Save.
Viewing and Editing Saved Searches
You will be able to view your saved searches and alerts from your My NCBI account. In the "Saved Searches" box will be a listing of the searches you have saved. Click the "gear" icon to view and/or edit the search strategy or update frequency. To view a complete list of saved searches and their update schedule, click Manage Saved Searches.